I do interactive visits about my Tom Mouse book and my adventure challenges, with children at schools, libraries and book shops. Please contact me at info@TomMouse.co.uk or give me a call on 07539 380430 to discuss your requirements. My adventure challenges are shown at www.challengepictures.co.uk. Some initial questions are covered below.
I would be delighted to sign copies of the book. If the school is happy to have book sales then I can provide a draft letter for the school to remind parents to provide the children with money if they wish to purchase a book or a Mouse, or both! Books and Toys are discounted for schools visits. Softback book £6 (usually £6.99), hardback book £10 (usually £10.99), and soft toy Tom Mouse £10 (usually £10.99).
A reminder, 50% of profits go to the Down’s Syndrome Association and 50% towards the next book!
I will donate a signed copy of the book to the school library.
PREPARING FOR MY VISIT
It is always useful to discuss my visit at least 2 weeks in advance, ideally face to face, with the teacher responsible.
Questions for us to consider include:
What are the objectives and expectations of the school?
- typically this is about encouraging children to read, inspiring them to create their own stories. It can also be about the author sharing some of his adventures.
- a draft of a book reading and event is shown below; this can be tailored to suit.
What is the required date / time and length of event?
- generally this would be either a single session with one class (up to an hour) or multiple classes through the school day.
What year-group / age will be involved?
- key stage 1 (nursery, reception, year 1) and early key stage 2 (year 2, 6 – 7 years).
What format should the visit / event take?
- I am DBS cleared but at least one teacher should be present at all times and preferably be involved in the event/s.
What pre-work is required by the school?
- if toy sales & book sales / signing - then letter to parents at least a week in advance.
- awareness amongst teachers and classes that will be involved in the visit / event.
What follow-up might the school take with pupils?
- consider linking in to other class work, e.g. the importance of helping one another.
What supporting equipment might be required?
- projector, screen, colouring pencils, paper, copies of Tom Mouse line drawing.
What fees are payable?
- fees begin at £200 (for a single presentation), in addition to travel and accommodation, where necessary.
EVENT DESIGN - DRAFT